Wearable Proxy Unity Setup Guidance

Wearable Proxy Unity Setup Guidance

ATMEthanATMEthan Member Posts: 8
Hello Bose AR Forums,

First time posting here! Skip this paragraph for the meat of this post. Just wanted to say All Things Media just received their Bose AR Frames Alto Style this past week. We've been messing around with it and its impress tech to say the least. Everyone that has tried them has commented on the quality of the sound and how good it is. To be honest though, this is Bose we are talking about. Of course the quality is going to be stellar. 

Anyways, so I'm trying to use the Wearable Proxy App and I'm not having any success. Here's what I've been doing...

1) Connect Frames to mobile device that will run the Wearable Proxy App via Bose Connect App
2) Open Proxy Server App
3) In Unity Editor, using the Root scene, set Wearable Control to Wearable Proxy for "Editor Default Provider" field
4) Enter IP and Port in Inspector fields.
5) Hit Start Server on Proxy Server App
6) Run Root Scene in Unity Editor.
7) Proxy Server App shows 1 client connected. Main Menu scene never displays a device in the app list. It continually displays "Searching for devices..."

According to this website I've done everything properly: https://developer.bose.com/guides/bose-ar/wearable-proxy

Sooo the question is... what am I doing wrong? Or what is wrong with this set up? Do I have to skip the connection process?

Thanks for the help,
Ethan

Comments

• ATMEthanATMEthan Member Posts: 8
    Hey, just wanted to leave an update. 

First off, my original post is using a PC and Android Device. I failed to have mentioned that.

Second, I had success getting the Proxy Server App to run on an OSX machine. 

So this seems to be something with the PC/Android implementation.

OSX/iOS Development Specs
    OSX - 10.14.4
    Unity Editor - 2018.3.13f1
    xCode - 10.2.1
    iOS Device - iPhone 8 running 12.1.1

PC/Android Development Specs
    PC - Windows 10 Prof
    Unity Editor - 2018.3.3f1
    Android Device - Pixel 2 running 8.1.0
    Tried a different Android Phone this time but it still did not work.

Android Device - Samsung Galaxy S8 running 8.0.0
  • Michael@Bose[email protected] Member Posts: 66
    Hi @ATMEthan I didn't want to leave you without a reply - we are looking into this internally and hopefully will have a more useful reply shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Michael @ Bose
    @ATMEthan one additional question: What version of the Bose AR SDK for Unity are you using? If it isn't the latest, can you please re-try your steps with the latest version?

Michael @ Bose
    @[email protected]
    I am using BoseWearable-Unity_v0.13.0.unitypackage
    Thanks @ATMEthan so we can eliminate using an old version fo the SDK as a potential issue.

Is there a reason you need to use a fairly significantly old version of Unity (2018.3.3f)? That could be another potential issue, as the Proxy service relies heavily on Unity. 
    Thanks @ATMEthan so we can eliminate using an old version fo the SDK as a potential issue.

Is there a reason you need to use a fairly significantly old version of Unity (2018.3.3f)? That could be another potential issue, as the Proxy service relies heavily on Unity. 
    Not particularly; It's what my company's current internal codebase is compiled for. I can try the latest 2018 version. Standby. 
  • edited 04/29/2019 - 18:08
    ATMEthanATMEthan Member Posts: 8
    No dice with 2018.3.14f1 @[email protected]

Hi @ATMEthan

From the team:

We discovered this week that the Android permission issue that we released a hotfix for in v0.12.3 presents itself differently in the Wearable Proxy and requires a separate fix.

Luckily, there are a few workarounds for this issue:

* Download and install an earlier version of Unity (2017.4, 2018.1 or 2018.2), import our SDK, and build the proxy from there. You may then use this Proxy app on your Android phone with a project in 2018.3.

* Build a proxy for an iOS device and use that instead. This will work for their project as well.

The team would also like to clarify a few things:

1) We support Unity versions 2017.4, 2018.1, 2018.2 and 2018.3 -- all of those versions of Unity should work interchangeably without issue. 

2) The Proxy does not have any specific requirements to Unity versions or mobile OSes. It's important that you build the proxy from the same version of the SDK you're using in your project. You can use an iOS Proxy for an Android project, and vice versa, but a Proxy built with the v0.12 SDK will not work with the v0.13 SDK and so-on.

3) Unity 2018.3 is the latest stable version of Unity, and is not an old version of the engine. Point releases (the "x" in 2018.3.x) will not likely introduce bugs with our SDK. The next logical upgrade from 2018.3 is currently 2019.1, which has some serious issues unrelated to our SDK, and many users are currently avoiding it until some fixes come out.

Hope this helps!

Michael @ Bose