Wearable Demo

Wearable Demo

edited 08/16/2019 - 16:17 in Bose AR SDK for Unity
mv100mv100 Posts: 14Member
Unable to get the Unity (version 2019.2.0f1) demo app to work. Deployed to Android and it opens but I just get the "Select your Bose AR product" while a little soundscape plays. Using 700 headphones, firmware version 1.1.4.

Answers

• OffPlanetOffPlanet Posts: 4Member
    I'm having the same issue with not being able to advance to game from our connect screen. if I close the connect window, the menu screen will appear, and I can hear both the game theme music and the connecting soundscape theme. 
  • Filip@Bose[email protected] Posts: 36Moderator
    Can you make sure you are using the "Tools > Bose Wearable > Build Wearable Demo" menu to build to Android? 
  • mv100mv100 Posts: 14Member
    Yes, Build Wearable Demo. I have also tried with Unity version 2017.4.31f1.

If would be good if I can get this answered/solved as soon as possible. I bought the 700 NC to test the Bose AR capabilities on Android using Unity. As yet, it doesn't work on device or in editor. I am hoping that I am doing something wrong, otherwise I will be returning the headphones to Bose as I bought directly from the company and have a 30 days trial. One query I have is whether there is a minimum spec requirement for the phone. I am using an older Samsung Note phone, although using Android 6.0.1.
    Most of the docs for the SDK on Unity only mention supporting Frames and QC35 II. Has anyone got the Build Wearable Demo to work on the NC700?
  • Michael@Bose[email protected] Posts: 64Admin, Moderator
    Hi @mv100 yes, the the NC700s are confirmed to work, and the version of Unity you said you're using is also confirmed viable. Can you confirm you're using the latest firmware on the NC 700s? Also, can you confirm that.

Just in case, please clear the pairing list on the NC700s as well as remove the device from the system Bluetooth settings.

Finally, keep in mind the minimum Android API version currently supported is 5.1, so please make sure you have that set from within unity in your build settings for android.

Hope this helps!

Michael @ Bose

• edited 08/23/2019 - 22:47
    Thanks Michael,

Firmware and API were all correct.

Clearing the Bluetooth device list and removing the pairing from settings has a few times now allowed the app to discover the NC700, although then it fails to connect. Before it wasn't discovering the NC700 at all.

A couple of times, the app has connected (with BLE) and played but there was no audio via classic Bluetooth. If I then paired for audio, the app will not discover the device. To try again, I then have to start over clearing the Bluetooth device list and removing the device pairing from settings. I have tried this about 50 times. Once the app and audio did work for a short while, but I have not been able to get it to work again. When it worked, the Basic and Advanced Demos worked although the Gesture Demo struggled. Only the "No" gesture would register.

I am using an older Samsung Galaxy Note phone, but I haven't had trouble with Bluetooth (classic or BLE) before, and have tested my BLE with a scanner app. I have tested the NC700 with iOS and the AR demos on Bose Music, and the headphones seem to work okay.

Any ideas? I know things are Beta at the moment. Is it normal to struggle to connect with the device?

Best wishes,

Michael

• daniel@bose[email protected] Posts: 33Moderator
    @mv100  Sorry to hear your frustrations with connecting.
    Have you verified that your NC700 is in fact not connected to another devices (laptop, or another smartphone)  
    - The Classic Bluetooth connection must be only connected to one device at a time.

Generally, this clears up the audio not playing via classic bluetooth issue.  

If this doesn't clear the issue can you conform all of your devices and settings so we can try to reproduce the issue on our end: 

Mac OS / Windows OS:
    Unity SDK (Still using? version 2019.2.0f1)
    Bose SDK version (4.0?)
    Mobile device brand:
    Mobile device Model:

Thanks!

@[email protected]

• edited 08/26/2019 - 23:54
    Michael@Bose[email protected] Posts: 64Admin, Moderator
    Hi @mv100 - this likely won't solve your issue, but you said you're using a Samsung Galaxy Note. If that's the original Note it may not even be Android 5.1 or above, which is our minimum requirement for using the Bose AR SDK for Android or Unity with deployment to Android.

Can you confirm the phone you're using is ABOVE 5.1?

Also - keep in mind a headset working with Bose Music is NOT the same as a headset working with a Bose AR enabled application - that requires a special BLE connection in-app to be able to be connected, which the Bose Music app does not. 

Michael @ Bose

Hi Michael and Daniel,

Thanks for the replies. Pairings and minimum requirements have already been addressed previously in this thread.

So to confirm:
    Windows 10
    Unity Version 2019.2.0f1 (also tried with 2017.4.31f1) using API 23 in build
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with Android 6.0.1
    Bose AR SDK v4.0.0
    NC700 firmware 1.1.4

Here is a step-by-step walkthrough of the problem.

Firstly, the NC700 are not paired with any other devices, and the NC700 are fully charged.
    If initally there is a classic Bluetooth connection with the phone, then the Wearable Demo app will not show any Bose AR product in range.

If instead, the headphones are unpaired in Bluetooth settings and the Bluetooth device list cleared on the NC700, then the app will initally attempt to connect when launched but after about 10 seconds will say "Device failed to connect". Then on the "Select your Bose AR product" page, LE-Bose 700 does now appear, although the signal strength is extremely low. Only if the headphones and the phone are next to each other does the signal strength give 2-3 bars. Otherwise it quickly drops to 1 bar and then when more than 20-50cms apart, the app no longer detects that the headphones are in range.

I have then tried again and again to connect with the device, with the phone and NC700 next to each other. After many attempts, I then start again from the beginning, resetting Bluetooth on the phone and clearing the device list on the phone, or sometimes turning both devices off and on as well.

I have tried connecting about 200 times now, and about 10 times the app has successfully connected, although the audio is not playing on the NC700 but instead on the phone. When I then go to Bluetooth setttings to see if I can turn on media audio permission, usually only LE-Bose 700 is paired in Bluetooth and obviously media audio settings are not offered. Sometimes Bose 700 does instead appear paired but still no media audio settings are offered.

Now twice I have managed to get audio to work. The first time for some reason media audio settings did appear in the Bluetooth settings. The second time, when the app had connected, I was asked (by the app or the OS) whether I wanted to pair with Bose 700.

Now when the app does connect and the demos play, there are no connection issues. All the demos work and there is no loss of BLE connection, even when the phone and the NC700 are many metres apart. So I am intrigued why, when connecting, the BLE signal strength is so weak while when it does manage to connect, it works fine many metres apart.

So that is about it. If it is a hardware issue (either the phone or the headphones), then obviously nothing you can do. With the SDK being Beta, perhaps it is a software issue and you can replicate it. Unless this can be resolved, I will have to return the headphones to Bose.

Best wishes,
    Michael
    @mv100

Thanks I've pushed this issue to our eng team for them to reproduce the issue.   Please bear with us as they try to resolve the issue.  It may take some time given your specific details here. 

@[email protected]

Hi @mv100 yes, I had escalated this to engineering a while ago and that is still happening in parallel in the background (and with nudges from others on my team), but in addition, my apologies for the repetition, but I really want to find out what version of Android your Samsung Galaxy Note device is running.

Can you please confirm the exact version Android it is running?

I am asking because, if it is running above Lollipop (5.x) and there is an issue that may be tied to whatever custom version Samsung had put out there for the original Note, then that is useful information for other developers, and for us going forward.

One bit of advice - if your goal is to test in-editor with Unity then the most functional device you could purchase for that is a pair of Bose Frames. The QC 35 IIs do let you read sensor data from the Unity editor while connected via USB, but they don't send spatial audio to the headset while connected via USB. Frames do both things. 

Thanks for your help.

Michael @ Bose
    Thanks for escalating this to engineering. I am aware that this problem must relate to Samsung Note 4 in some way. At some point in the next few months I am updating my phone.

The phone is running Android 6.0.1. Today I also went to one of your resellers to see if the Wearable Demo app works with the Frames they have on display. (The NC700 and QC35 II on display had the Bose music demo playing and pairing with other devices was not possible.)

I couldn't connect the Frames either. BLE signal strength again was low, although seemed not quite as bad as with the NC700. This time, after clearing the device list, the Frames would appear detected but would not connect. Also the app would no longer detect the Frames after returning to the "Select your Bose AR product" page. I had to restart the app and clear the device list before Frames would be detected again, although each time it would not connect. I don't know which firmware version was on the Frames.

Best wishes,
    Michael

This is more helpful than you may know, @mv100 (Michael) - thank you for sharing. 

Unfortunately, in terms of getting around the problem at the moment, you're probably right to seek out getting a slightly newer phone, or at least one with a newer version of Android (though, in truth, it *should* work with Android 6.0.1, but it could also be the bluetooth hardware of the phone itself that's the issue, or a number of other things) and pairing that with Frames for full USB Provider functionality with Unity.

Thanks for your understanding with our questions and providing the helpful information. We are taking all of it internally and it's certainly helpful.

PS - be on the lookout for a new version of the Bose AR SDK for Unity very soon. Would love to see your results with that version in your current setup (700s & Note) to see if they're different at all.

Michael @ Bose
     I also tried v4.0.1 and it is the same. Is there a more major release pending?

Also will spatial audio be sent to the NC700 when testing in-editor? Or is it just the Bose Frames? Also could you please provide any clarifications on getting the in-editor (USB provider) working. I follow everything to the letter but can never detect the headphones. If the Wearable Demo app struggles to work with Samsung Galaxy Note 4, then do I presume that testing in-editor with the phone will also not work?

I have about a week left of my 30-day trial period. What is the likely time frame for a more stable SDK being ready? (Time frame as in one month, three months, early next year etc?)

Best wishes,
    Michael

@mv100
    Thanks for your follow up questions.  To be clear only the Bose Frames will pass both audio and data to the Unity editor.  The NC700 have a completely different secure paring process which will not work with the Unity editor.     Likewise for the QC 35's. 

If you plan on doing a lot of detailed work with spatial audio one nice workflow is to pair your NC700's to your laptop or computer, set the audio to go to the headphones, then connect a pair of Bose Frames via USB to the cable.  

Also we just released a new version of the Unity SDK,  there's some fixes that address connectivity with the USB connections and Frames.  You can find that on our SDK downloads page.

@[email protected]

• edited 09/03/2019 - 16:03
    Dear Daniel,

I am a bit confused by the reply. I have already tried v4.0.1 as stated earlier. Is there another release?

Also confused by the workflow option. Do you recommend wearing both the NC700 and the Frames for detailed spatial audio Unity work? Why not just the Frames? Will the Unity SDK ever support both audio and data for the Unity editor with the NC700? If I am not able to get the Wearable Demo app to work, should one also expect that it won't work in-editor? What is the likely time frame for having a fully stable version of the SDK ready? If the timescale is long, then I will return the NC700s to Bose. Otherwise I will keep them and wait.

Also I asked off-list to Michael but not yet heard back, I am not an app developer but an immersive content creator/artist with a planned ambisonic project for next year. What I really was looking for and initially hoped that the Bose AR would support, was the ability to use the headphones to monitor ambisonic tracks in DAWs such as Reaper. Reaper support ambisonic plugins. Perhaps something planned by Bose?

Best wishes,
    Michael
  • edited 09/09/2019 - 18:08
    daniel@bose[email protected] Posts: 33Moderator
    @mv100

Michael,  I'm so sorry to hear my answer further confused you.  

I was specifically discussing the workflow I and other developers are using with the Unity Editor and our USB provider.   For detailed Spatial Audio work,  I simply listen via headphones vs using my laptops speaker system.  This allows me to better hear the spatial audio experiences without the room ambiance you'd get with wearing the open ear Frames.  As mentioned, previously USB Debugging in the Unity Editor is not currently available on the NC700s due to current firmware restrictions. 

Here's more detail as provided in our documentation that ships with the Unity SDK:

USB ProviderThe USB Provider provides all the same functionality in the Unity Editor that the Bluetooth Provider enables in a runtime environment. To use it, connect your Bose AR device to your Windows or macOS computer via the included USB cable and set the WearableControl 'sEditor Default Provider to USB Provider.This provider is only available in the Unity Editor and is not available on runtime platforms.Given that the USB Provider is not transmitting data over-the-air, data transmission is likely to be more reliable than users will experience over Bluetooth. Always test your experience on device before releasing your application to users.Currently, only the following Bose AR devices support the USB Provider:• Bose Frames
    • Bose QuietComfort 35 IINOTE: The Bose USB Updater (as well as our USB Provider) maintains an exclusive lock on the device during operation. If you are having trouble connecting to the device with the USB Provider, please disconnect your device, close the USB Updater and the Unity Editor, reconnect your device, and relaunch the Unity Editor.

We have connected with our engineering team to discuss the other issues and suggestions.   The context of being a creator vs a developer will help us better to understand the feedback.   We have a different path via our creator tool,  let me check into your other questions and get back to you soon. 

@[email protected]

Dear Daniel,

Three weeks ago I said here that I had tried to use the NC700 in editor with the USB provider. No one clarified then that it was not possible. Also it would be very helpful if the SDK Demo page specifically said that you can only test the demo in-editor on the Frames.

I am not an app developer but I do use Unity plus I have a C++/C# background. Your Bose AR products could do so much but are let down by the present situation with the SDK, and no information on the future road map for the SDK. I work a lot with ambisonic sound development and if I end up returning the NC700 to Bose (which now looks likely) and instead use Bluetooth headtracking modules for headphones, then this would be a great shame. Immersive content developers are the people you need to get on board with Bose AR.

I would hold on to the NC700 if full in-editor via USB provider support would soon be possible. But without any clear information from Bose on what is planned and the timescale, then I will return the NC700. I also like the Frames concept but no good for those of us who already use glasses. (Some people in the USA have managed to replace the lenses with prescription lenses.)

I did email Bose about the Creator tool (although this looks just to be a tool for audio anchoring and persistance), but did not hear back. Clear communication and clarification here on the developer forums has also been frustratingly difficult and at times very slow. I now only have a couple of days left of my 30-day trial.

Best wishes,
    Michael

• edited 09/10/2019 - 19:58

Looking through the documentation for the Android and iOS SDKs, the NC700 are not mentioned as being supported, but only the Frames. Would I be correct in saying that at this time the Frames are really the only Bose AR product that one can develop with? Yes the NC700 and the QC35ii are Bose AR enabled, but other than on-device testing via the Unity SDK, there is no other support for AR development with these headphones and one really should be using the Frames? (And when will this change so that all Bose AR devices have full development support through the SDKs?)

Hi @mv100 no you would actually be 100% incorrect to say that Frames are the only Bose AR product one can develop with.

What would be accurate to say is that it is equally possible to develop with any of the three current Bose AR enabled devices, including the QC 35 IIs, Frames and NC 700s.

This is because, from a code perspective, Bose AR is device agnostic. The sensor bundle that forms the hardware side of the Bose AR equation is identical across all three currently supported. As a result, in software all functions are currently called the same way across all three devices.

If the documentation specifically mentions Frames, instead of generically referencing "Bose AR devices," then that is something we will be happy to recommend gets updated, so as to avoid confusion. Thank you for catching that, and rest assured that we will bring the feedback internally for review!

That said, I'm honestly not sure how you'd go from a lack of a specific device being called out in documentation and the conclusion that it's impossible to develop for anything but Frames.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but we have multiple examples of Bose AR enabled apps that function with any of the three currently supported Bose AR devices being built using either the iOS native SDK or the Android native SDK, as well as Unity. 

For those developing natively for iOS, for example, they connect Bose AR devices to their mobile device via bluetooth for testing while plugged in and simply push a build through Xcode to the mobile device to test - and that device can be any of the three currently supported Bose AR devices.

In point of fact, in order to pass our Bose AR Certification process, Bose AR applications must work with all three devices.

Here is more information on the Bose AR Certification process in case you're curious:

https://developer.bose.com/guides/bose-ar/bose-ar-app-certification

Cheers,

Michael @ Bose

• edited 09/12/2019 - 10:23

Everything I said was based on your documentation. For Android and iOS it says:

Hardware Requirements:

For Unity, NC700 is not supported for in-editor testing. Sure the code is device agnostic, but I was talking from a practical point-of-view. Being only able to test on-device is not a suitable way to do any development with Unity. I have now asked a number of times here, plus to your "technical support" customer service people who confused the SDKs with the Bose Music and Connect apps, when in-editor testing will be possible with the NC700, but you don't answer the question.

I give up with Bose and will return the NC700.