3rd-party spatial audio engines (e.g FMOD, Resonance Audio) & Bose AR...

3rd-party spatial audio engines (e.g FMOD, Resonance Audio) & Bose AR...

edited 12/19/2018 - 14:33 in Bose AR SDK for iOS
prehensileprehensile Member Posts: 11
...has anyone tried to get any of these working?

It's one of the first things I'm interested in trying, but if anyone else has already done it then I don't need to bother :)

Comments

• Nadine@Bose[email protected] Member Posts: 111
    Hi!

I don't believe anyone has! I can double check with our partnership teams/engineering teams to get more info. What do you have in mind you'd like to build?

Best,
    nadine
  • BradBeckerBradBecker Member Posts: 2
    I'm going to try the SDK out with WWISE soon. Will let you know.
  • prehensileprehensile Member Posts: 11
    I've made some progress - I've integrated Resonance Audio with BasicExample from the iOS SDK examples and have it playing a couple of ambisonic test files and one example of a point source arranged in front of the listener's head.

It's not quite behaving as expected though - in that I'm not hearing audio pan from left to right as I turn my head from left to right. Weirdly, one of my tests seemed to pan from left to right when I rolled my head sideways (e.g so that my left ear touched my shoulder, then my right ear) - which leads me to suspect that Resonance and the Bose SDK don't have completely equivalent coordinate systems.

So far, I've tried the most obvious thing - passing the quaternion received by BasicExample's DeviceTableViewController receivedRotation function to Resonance's GVRAudioEngine setHeadRotation function. I suspect that I need to rotate / translate that quaternion somehow, but I'm at the limit of my 3D math knowledge here, and I've definitely forgotten how quaternions work ;)

Could anyone hazard a guess at what's causing my observed problem, and possible fixes? I'm happy to share my source, as long as someone from Bose can advise on the best way to do that, given that it's derived from one of their demos and the SDK is still in developer preview.
  • prehensileprehensile Member Posts: 11
     What do you have in mind you'd like to build?
    Hi Nadine! Not sure yet - I work for BBC R&D, and I research and prototype new media experiences. We have a really good audio division in R&D, so I'm working with them to see what we can get the glasses to do. We already have a bunch of spatial / binaural content, so in the first instance I'm trying to get that to work, then depending on how that goes we might make some new content, specifically for audio AR. Exciting!
  • edited 01/04/2019 - 16:29
    prehensileprehensile Member Posts: 11
    As it turns out, it was a simple fix: all I needed to do was swap the Y and Z components of the quaternion. The Bose Wearable coordinate system is Z-down, Resonance Audio (and most other 3D / game engines I've seen) are Y-up.
    Which means that I now have a working demo of using Resonance Audio (Google VR) for head-tracked spatial audio with Bose AR! I've worked through examples of ambisonic and point-source / object-based rendering. Happy to share my source, if useful.
    Next stop: FMOD!
    Hi @prehensile

That's great! Keep us in-tuned with your success / questions!  When ready, I'd love to see a demo!

Best,
    n
  • bcjordanbcjordan Member Posts: 2
    As it turns out, it was a simple fix: all I needed to do was swap the Y and Z components of the quaternion. The Bose Wearable coordinate system is Z-down, Resonance Audio (and most other 3D / game engines I've seen) are Y-up.
    Which means that I now have a working demo of using Resonance Audio (Google VR) for head-tracked spatial audio with Bose AR! I've worked through examples of ambisonic and point-source / object-based rendering. Happy to share my source, if useful.
    @prehensile I'd love to take a look at your source for this!
  • gregdowninggregdowning Member Posts: 2
    Hi @prehensile, sounds great! I would love to try this to port some of my earlier projects over that use Resonance. 
  • pralhadkonnurpralhadkonnur Member Posts: 1
    @prehensile Hi. I'm currently working on developing a spatial audio application using Resonance SDK and I want to try it out with the Bose Frames. Your source would be really helpful.
    Hi @prehensile,

When you say source - can you clarify? 
    thanks,
    @[email protected]